+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Moderation Queue

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 0%

Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] Atariowns     $ 10.00

The Moderation Queue

Hey guys ! Hows it going ?

Not sure whether its my place , however I feel like I have 2 say something . I have noticed that there is a new method of just being able 2 post on the forums "The Moderation Queue" or something of this nature .

I wasn't at all concerned Until I made friends with and started talking with 4 separate people who where trying 2 join dtk ever since the update come out , and out of the 4 3 actually had given up and got 2 Frustrated at having 2 wait just 2 be able 2 post and left dtk ! and it wasn't like they got Frustrated over a day or two this is like 6-8 days !

I have 2 express my concern that First-Impressions are everything and I feel like we losing potential new members with this system . I have seen 2 many new players leave and new friends leave ... and 2 be honest I am kind of sick of it .

I talked 2 squall and the reason it was implemented was 2 stop bot accounts ,banned players rejoining and spam . I also know that staff members go though these and choose whether they get accepted or not .

For a minute put ur self in a new players shoes , u start playing dtk servers and decided u really like it and then u try the forums and at first u have 2 wait just 2 be able 2 post ! You may wait 1 day or maybe 2-3 and realize that joining the forums just isn't just worth ur time .

Anyways this is just my opinion and it would be great 2 her everyone else's views !

Cheers Atariowns
    Last edited by Atariowns; 11-09-14 at 07:06 PM.

The Real Shadow
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 94

Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Shadow     $ 100.00
    i didn't even know we have that... it sounds dumb, but i obviously wouldn't have to deal with the mess if there are heaps of spammers etc. and dont know the details about the queue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadow For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 244

Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Gyarados     $ 60.00
    Hey atari ! How's it going ?

I hear what u r trying 2 say , but we don't want banned members coming back 2 the forums !

If people can't wait 1 day 2 join dtk then they aren't going to wait 2 weeks 2 join dtk neophyte ranks ! .
    What is wrong with waiting if ur gonna have to wait 3 weeks to be a neophyte anyway !

Anyways this is just my opinion and it would b great 2 her everyone else's views !

Cheers Gyra

(maybe people would acknowledge you if you wrote in english)

Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Gyarados View Post
    Hey atari ! How's it going ?

I hear what u r trying 2 say , but we don't want banned members coming back 2 the forums !

If people can't wait 1 day 2 join dtk then they aren't going to wait 2 weeks 2 join dtk neophyte ranks ! .
    What is wrong with waiting if ur gonna have to wait 3 weeks to be a neophyte anyway !

Anyways this is just my opinion and it would b great 2 her everyone else's views !

Cheers Gyra

(maybe people would acknowledge you if you wrote in english)
    Doesn't all it take is a I.P 2 see whether someone has been Banned or not ? so can't we just filter out the I.P's of banned players ?

yeah spelling and grammer have never been my strong points .

Banned

Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados has a reputation beyond repute Gyarados's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Gyarados     $ 60.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Atariowns View Post
    Doesn't all it take is a I.P 2 see whether someone has been Banned or not ? so can't we just filter out the I.P's of banned players ?

yeah spelling and grammer have never been my strong points .
    Generally IP's are dynamic meaning that they can change on the reset of the router/modem. If a banned player has reset their modem since the ban then they can enter and stir up the forums. Its pretty obvious that you lack in grammar and english in general but just a heads up "2" is different from "to" and "too".

Mother Figure of DtK.
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 97.0%

Cuffeh has a reputation beyond repute Cuffeh has a reputation beyond repute Cuffeh has a reputation beyond repute Cuffeh has a reputation beyond repute Cuffeh has a reputation beyond repute Cuffeh has a reputation beyond repute Cuffeh has a reputation beyond repute Cuffeh has a reputation beyond repute Cuffeh has a reputation beyond repute Cuffeh has a reputation beyond repute Cuffeh has a reputation beyond repute Cuffeh's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [S] Cuffeh     $ 250.00
    It's not new.

If you have any forum or server questions send me a PM.

Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Gyarados View Post
    Generally IP's are dynamic meaning that they can change on the reset of the router/modem. If a banned player has reset their modem since the ban then they can enter and stir up the forums. Its pretty obvious that you lack in grammar and english in general but just a heads up "2" is different from "to" and "too".
    Therefore there is no way of knowing whether some is a banned player unless they stir shit up ( unless there is ) !

U can shove that 2 up ur arse if u like u grammer nazi

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 355

crim is a name known to all crim is a name known to all crim is a name known to all crim is a name known to all crim is a name known to all crim is a name known to all crim's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] crim     $ 35.00
    Wot is english

But then there is the problem with people using vpn's and such, although it may be obvious to spot a vpn if a certain forum member continously changes I.P when going onto the forums or when playing on the server.

One way that could reduce the number of bots, spammers or banned members rejoining could be to make them fill out a form which has something like why hey want to join the forums, putting in their steam id so that staff can check their hours and such like if the player had very little hours on css and almost all of it spent on a dtk server, then I would be pretty suspicious. A captcha may help with bots.

I for one had no idea what this system was since i joined the forums before this update, but it does seem kind of pointless but then again i'm not the one that has to deal with them so i wouldn't really be able to say much about this, and then again i don't really know how the queue shstem works, if it requires the staff members to accept players and such, then we also have to consider the fact that they are also people that "may" have lives (coughcurlcough) and we don't know much about how this system works such as how long the process takes for a staff member to go through one application as there may be various other processes involved in accepting a member in the queue.
    Last edited by crim; 11-09-14 at 07:27 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to crim For This Useful Post:

Banned

Total Donations For

Gyarados     $ 60.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Atariowns View Post
    Therefore there is no way of knowing whether some is a banned player unless they stir shit up ( unless there is ) !

U can shove that 2 up ur arse if u like u grammer nazi
    They are made for banned players as much as they are made for spam bots and it's pretty obvious when spam happens.
    Stop making judgments about things you know nothing about... its stupid and a waste of every ones time.

Grammar***

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyarados For This Useful Post:

Terowins
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 144

Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Terowins     $ 10.00
    Let's remove it so I can make 20 forum accounts and post supportive replies on my threads.

2 clever

The Real Shadow
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 94

Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Shadow     $ 100.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Terowins View Post
    Let's remove it so I can make 20 forum accounts and post supportive replies on my threads.

2 clever
    or maybe you are one of squall's alternate accounts, and you are just making posts so that people do think that you are... (Squall you gave it away by thanking yourself)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shadow For This Useful Post:

Lurker
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 189

bad8lood has much to be proud of bad8lood has much to be proud of bad8lood has much to be proud of bad8lood has much to be proud of bad8lood has much to be proud of bad8lood has much to be proud of bad8lood has much to be proud of bad8lood has much to be proud of bad8lood has much to be proud of bad8lood has much to be proud of bad8lood's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] bad8lood     $ 30.00
    i used to be part web moderator team for a server i used to play on and we started getting bots flooding into the system spamming ads, we had a signup and everything but we had no cool down or wait period for it.
    even though this was when the server was nearing its end, ( like 2 -3 moths before it shut down and stopped) there was over 2500 new users requests most of which ended up being blocked manually, and over 50 spam threads before we implemented a the manual system.
    it is a very much needed part because it does fish out the people that would spam the boards and deter them from going through the effort to bot the forum

(it sucks deleting and blocking accounts manually fyi)

Terowins
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 144

Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins has a reputation beyond repute Terowins's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Terowins     $ 10.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    or maybe you are one of squall's alternate accounts, and you are just making posts so that people do think that you are... (Squall you gave it away by thanking yourself)
    ur being 2 silly now

Development Team
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 62
    imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [SA] imthenewguy     $ 0.00
    Regarding the bots, can't you just add a capture to stop them from spam registering/spamming? Worked for my old forums.

Regarding banned users rejoining, a que system won't fix that because if they were that hell bent on getting back in, they would create the account, wait for it to be activated and then run a muck. Unless its the same ip, you won't be able to tell.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to imthenewguy For This Useful Post:

Alley Cat
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 244
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] TC_TopCat     $ 0.00
    Regarding IPs, they are generally static.
    I dont think I know anyone with a dynamic IP. And you dont get assigned a new IP when you reset your modem (only locally perhaps). You are still plugged in to the same location at your internet exchange, so the adressing will be identical.
    Also as an admin in these forums, there is a button down below next to the +rep buttons that shows the IP address of the user and sometimes info about their ISP and geographic region.

I remember when I first joined- I was keen to get started and hang out with my best mate. He guided me to post an intro and application to join (no post requirement at that stage). Before I knew it i was posting away and meeting some random Krezand and finding my feet. I enjoyed being welcomed by 10+ people within the first couple of hours of me making a thread. Left a good impression and I have stuck it out here for a while now .

I believe we are in a state where Staff have been able to minimise the hands-on time with people joining and that is why the threshold has come about. IMO, it is bad when a few rogue people ruin the system and illegitimately consume the time of our Staff (who are volunteers), but I also think that genuine applicants need to be treated like they are genuinely part of the community from day 1- and dont have barriers (or too many).

Things that could help are captcha verification, and spotting the IP of the user. It may also be nicer to give a 15-minute timer for thread creation rather than a day. This would prevent bots from insta-spamming, and genuine new people hopefully wouldnt feel like its too much of a problem. In fact, they might take some time to read through several threads to familiarise themselves before jumping into making threads and posting all over the shop.

Remember that where there is a will there is a way, and if someone wants to come in and cause a bit of a riot- they will find a way whether they wait a day or not. I am in favour of support for the newbies, even if it means that there will be minor disruptions by those set on causing chaos.
    TopCats Rebelling Guide + Seargent_Stoners Wardening Guide + Mellows Guard Guide
    Processor: Intel i5-3570K @ 3.5GHz w\ Corsair H55 liquid cooling
    Graphics: 2GB ASUS GTX-670
    PSU: Corsair HX-850W
    RAM: G.Skill 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 1600Mhz
    Monitor: LG 120Hz 3D W2363D
    SSD: 120GB Corsair Force Series 3
    HDD: WD Caviar Green 500GB

Some old guy
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 97.0%

Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [LM] Rowdy     $ 55.00
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_TopCat
    I dont think I know anyone with a dynamic IP. And you dont get assigned a new IP when you reset your modem (only locally perhaps). You are still plugged in to the same location at your internet exchange, so the adressing will be identical.
    Also as an admin in these forums, there is a button down below next to the +rep buttons that shows the IP address of the user and sometimes info about their ISP and geographic region.
    I have a dynamic IP.

turning my modem off for >10 mins ends my lease on the ip at the exchange and I get assigned a new one when I rejoin the network.

I believe most adsl connections are dynamic these days, perhaps bar business connections.
    Last edited by Rowdy; 11-09-14 at 09:44 PM.
    aeGis.|DtK|
    GeeSix K.r.o.n.i.c Octave Pand3mic ReNji Rowdy

CPU: intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.6Ghz
    Cooler: Corsair H70 liquid cooler with single Scythe GT
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz 16GB (2x8GB)
    GPU: Gigabyte 1080 G1 8GB
    Board: AsRock Z270 Pro 4
    SSD: 1x840EVO 120GB, 1x850EVO 120GB, 1x LITEON 250GB
    HDD: 2x WD Caviar blacks 1TB in Raid 0
    PSU: Seasonic X-1050 80Plus Gold 1050W
    Case: Corsair 600T Black
    Mouse: Steelseries Rival 600 + SteelSeries Prism Pad
    Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB TKL (Cherry Red)
    Headset:SteelSeries Arctis 5

Monitors: BenQ XL2430T 24in LED 144Hz + Samsung 24" LED
    If you have a problem on any of our servers, record a demo [Link to Guide] and submit it to SourceBans [Link to Guide] one of our administrators will be more than happy to assist in making sure our servers are enjoyable and fair for everybody.

Development Team
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 62
    imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [SA] imthenewguy     $ 0.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
    I have a dynamic IP.

turning my modem off for >10 mins ends my lease on the ip at the exchange and I get assigned a new one when I rejoin the network.

I believe most adsl connections are dynamic these days, perhaps bar business connections.
    Almost every provider supplies a dynamic ip by default on the consumer front AND business front, although its much easier to obtain a static on business. There are a handful of isps that supply static as a standard, but most adsl and nbn customers will be dynamic.

Resetting modem DOES reset Ip once the session has been ended for a long enough period of time.

Banned

Total Donations For

Gyarados     $ 60.00
    I have a dynamic ip lol

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Deadd has a spectacular aura about Deadd has a spectacular aura about Deadd's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [M] Deadd     $ 0.00
    As somebody who has just gone through this process I had to wait 7 days for this moderation queue to go through and as Atari states in his above thread it did sorta put me off joining the forums and I was sorta tempted not to play the servers. perhaps there is a way you can do this more effectively?
    Last edited by Deadd; 12-09-14 at 10:29 PM.

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 743

Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Frendy     $ 20.00
    It Originally was implemented (i believe) when some dickhead was harassing pythoness and releasing her personal info all over the forums, while i agree waiting 6-8 days isnt ideal, there isnt all that much that can be done to be 100% honest, yeah sure checking it more regularly and doing the process more would be better however obvs some people have some other stuff to do, sometimes you just gotta be patient

P.s. you can still look through all the forums, you simply cant post.

Also, a simple little filter isn't going to staph alt accounters, theres a magical thing called a VPN...... i know quite a few people who have used this method and been successful l3l

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information