+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: my solo jb project

Development Team
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [SA] imthenewguy     $ 0.00

my solo jb project

Hi all.

Have been messing around with a jail break map, thought I would share a few pictures of it.

Am in need of some mini game ideas so any help would be appreciated.

I currently have: Soccer, connect 4, basketball, roulette, diving board, pacman, skipping.

AGENIRO
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 93

AgentZero is just really nice AgentZero is just really nice AgentZero is just really nice AgentZero is just really nice AgentZero is just really nice AgentZero's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [M] AgentZero     $ 25.00
    Looks cool. How about Duck Duck Goose as another one.

Development Team
    imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Thanks for the feedback Baux.

I will reply in order.

Spawn Area: I have had mixed responses to cell room size on previous maps. A lot of people have complained that the cell room was too big in the Mario Party map. I did have a play with resizing it and tbh I don't have much else to add and it seemed rather bare.
    The weapon models were accidental - packrat loves to put them in for some reason - may have to relocate the models from my custom folder to my default folder to stop this from happening. Was wondering why the map was so bloody big.
    Breakable vents in cells are generally static in most jail break maps, but it could be a good idea to have 4 vents (all breakable) but have only 1 randomly chosen to actually be breakable just to add a bit of confusion for the CTs.

Outside: I didn't want to do a generic, run of the mill obstacle course for this map and I thought some moving parts would make it nice and challenging. I normally do hats (like on Mario party) for the winner but I don't have any that I found to be suitable for the map.
    I do agree that the wipeout game could use some cosmetic touch ups - was a bit of a rush job.
    The diving board - not sure what you mean by filtering it, could always move the trigger above head level so it doesn't touch the player until they jump.
    Regarding the ladder - a texture to suit the metal wall texture hasn't caught my eye.
    The design of the outside area was an issue. I had a play with the 3D skybox but I have never been good at positioning/sizing. That's why I made it into a space map - so there would be a reason for the vast emptiness!
    Could always put a few things in the background though to make it look more spacey.
    The launcher ramp looking thing in the corner is a gun toss ramp - could probably add a few markers though.

Interrogation Room: The lighting could be a little darker I suppose but I wouldn't change the size or it will look too cramped.
    Left Minigame area: The crowded look goes back to same logic I used for the cell room - make it look full. Granted - the basketball could probably do with a move.
    If you wanted to test out the hunger games mini game, just go in as a terrorist, turn sv_cheats 1 and type ent_fire hg_start_bttn press into console. To end it, type ent_fire hg_stop_bttn press.
    I had a go with adding trigger_multiples to the basketball nets but with physics flag didn't seem to respond to the bomb so I gave up.
    I like the idea of using a logic case for the block game.

Disco: To be honest, I hate disco. It is the most pointless, resource wasting part of a jail break map and is rarely used. Was considering just removing it.
    There was a point raised to have a mini game added to it, but I couldn't think of anything enjoyable to add. I could always replace it with a talent room or something.

Soccer: The ball physics comes and goes as it pleases. It was working perfectly, as was the one before it and all of a sudden it stops. Gotta love hammer.

Final suggestion: I usually hate adding so many banners - I did it to break the wall patterns up and make the room seem more full. Could replace them with some DTK banners of people would make them for me lol.
    When you say a lot of the map needs retexturing/relighting what parts are you talking about?

Again, thanks for the feed back.

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 68

Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Bauxe     $ 20.00
    Quote Originally Posted by imthenewguy View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Baux.

I will reply in order.

Spawn Area: I have had mixed responses to cell room size on previous maps. A lot of people have complained that the cell room was too big in the Mario Party map. I did have a play with resizing it and tbh I don't have much else to add and it seemed rather bare.
    The weapon models were accidental - packrat loves to put them in for some reason - may have to relocate the models from my custom folder to my default folder to stop this from happening. Was wondering why the map was so bloody big.
    Breakable vents in cells are generally static in most jail break maps, but it could be a good idea to have 4 vents (all breakable) but have only 1 randomly chosen to actually be breakable just to add a bit of confusion for the CTs.

I think somewhere in between marioparty and this map would be a good size. Its not about having to add things for a purpose, but moreso just for extra decoration. As for the models, fair enough, just get that fixed then. :P

And remember, try to break away from what is 'generally static' as long as it isn't killing the gametype. Adding random elements could be really enjoyable. Maybe even a random vent direction, so there is pretty much no way a guard could camp a vent exit or something.

Outside: I didn't want to do a generic, run of the mill obstacle course for this map and I thought some moving parts would make it nice and challenging. I normally do hats (like on Mario party) for the winner but I don't have any that I found to be suitable for the map.
    I do agree that the wipeout game could use some cosmetic touch ups - was a bit of a rush job.
    The diving board - not sure what you mean by filtering it, could always move the trigger above head level so it doesn't touch the player until they jump.
    Regarding the ladder - a texture to suit the metal wall texture hasn't caught my eye.
    The design of the outside area was an issue. I had a play with the 3D skybox but I have never been good at positioning/sizing. That's why I made it into a space map - so there would be a reason for the vast emptiness!
    Could always put a few things in the background though to make it look more spacey.
    The launcher ramp looking thing in the corner is a gun toss ramp - could probably add a few markers though.

Still moving parts can be not so much a challenge, but pure RNG on higher pings. I do see where you are coming from though. Maybe you could even give the smoke nade a little benefit to the T who picks it up, maybe even by surrounding them with a cloud of smoke or something? Just a random idea.

And even anything in the background would be better. As it looks now, its pretty plain.

Interrogation Room: The lighting could be a little darker I suppose but I wouldn't change the size or it will look too cramped.
    Left Minigame area: The crowded look goes back to same logic I used for the cell room - make it look full. Granted - the basketball could probably do with a move.
    If you wanted to test out the hunger games mini game, just go in as a terrorist, turn sv_cheats 1 and type ent_fire hg_start_bttn press into console. To end it, type ent_fire hg_stop_bttn press.
    I had a go with adding trigger_multiples to the basketball nets but with physics flag didn't seem to respond to the bomb so I gave up.
    I like the idea of using a logic case for the block game.

Making things look full are good, but overcrowding them isn't really. Having 4 seperate rooms, smaller, but with each minigame might look better. Since I pretty much never play JB, I can't say for sure what would work. I'll leave that for people who do play it.

Disco: To be honest, I hate disco. It is the most pointless, resource wasting part of a jail break map and is rarely used. Was considering just removing it.
    There was a point raised to have a mini game added to it, but I couldn't think of anything enjoyable to add. I could always replace it with a talent room or something.

Not much to say, I agree. I mean, do prisons even have disco rooms? Bad example I know, but still.

Soccer: The ball physics comes and goes as it pleases. It was working perfectly, as was the one before it and all of a sudden it stops. Gotta love hammer.

Final suggestion: I usually hate adding so many banners - I did it to break the wall patterns up and make the room seem more full. Could replace them with some DTK banners of people would make them for me lol.
    When you say a lot of the map needs retexturing/relighting what parts are you talking about?

A lot of the texturing stays the same throughout the whole map. Not always bad, but in this map, I just don't see it as a very nice looking texture. So similar, but slightly different colors could look nice.

As for lighting, outside doesn't look too great, and a few of the indoor areas don't either. Of course, lighting is damn hard to do.

Again, thanks for the feed back.

I also made a quick example for the filters I was talking about. Adding the trigger_push sightly above head height could work too though.

bsp: http://puu.sh/6dk0I/38c25a6ddb.bsp
    vmf: http://puu.sh/6dk2H/0760490398.vmf

When you stand on the blue, a trigger sets your filter (which a trigger_push is set to) and pushes you up. Then when you touch the green, it sets you to another filter which is linked to another trigger_push that slowly lets you down. 5 seconds after touching the green, the filter is removed and everything is back to normal. Fairly simple stuff.

Banned
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 386

RawMower has a reputation beyond repute RawMower has a reputation beyond repute RawMower has a reputation beyond repute RawMower has a reputation beyond repute RawMower has a reputation beyond repute RawMower has a reputation beyond repute RawMower has a reputation beyond repute RawMower has a reputation beyond repute RawMower has a reputation beyond repute RawMower has a reputation beyond repute RawMower has a reputation beyond repute RawMower's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

RawMower     $ 85.00
    If you have a gun toss ramp you should make it low grav when you jump like the spray wall of marioparty?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RawMower For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 64
    steak is on a distinguished road steak's Avatar
    Total Donations For

steak     $ 0.00
    1 word, A M A Z I N G

Development Team
    Total Donations For

Change log:

- Changed the statue game to random walls (case shuffle).
    - Added some markers for gun toss ramp outside
    - Changed the textures slightly on wipeout and changed square to cyl
    - Fixed soccerball physics.

Development Team
    Total Donations For

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 68

Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Bauxe     $ 20.00
    Took a quick look, and not really much to say. But, one quick issue, one of the walls in the random wall game doesn't have a hole in it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bauxe For This Useful Post:

Boobies
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Muffbag     $ 454.39
    So far, from the screenies etc it looks good and the effort you've put into it is clearly shown. I'll download the map at some point over the weekend and have a look at it properly, although I haven't really had much at all to do with map testing.

Regarding disco rarely being used, yeah it's rarely used, but that could be for a variety of reasons, one of them being there's not really a lot to do in MOST of the disco rooms that are on the maps. Another reason would be that the disco rooms themselves are a little awkward to be able to warden in properly (not sure if that makes sense or not).
    My suggestion for that is maybe try put like a memory type of game in there on the dance floor itself and maybe try and make the disco room 'warden friendly' so to speak..
    There's been a few times I've tried to play something on the disco floor, particularly the one on the space jail map, however a game like that would be much easier with automated zapping as opposed to trying to keep an eye on and hit buttons in the right sequence for 3 things at once AND watching the T's to be able to judge it fairly too.
    Not sure how well I can explain it but here goes .. basically, music starts, t's are allowed to move around on the floor (as long as they stay within the perimeter of the disco floor itself), as the music stops I call out a colour, the t's have to freeze (soon as the music stops), turn the floor lights on, and those who aren't on the colour are shot.

Aside from the disco part, some other suggestions for mini games etc are:

- I think it's called shipwreck on the mario map? the one where people have to hit the toad buttons for the entrance to come up out of the floor, that game is usually fairly well enjoyed, maybe add something like that on it?

- Races are usually used a fair bit.
    - Breakfloor
    - FF boxing/knife ring/arena
    - obstacle course is always popular.
    - Musical chairs ... I can't remember which map it was on, but we have or had a map that had musical chairs/doors, Warden got all the T's down into the chamber and locked out the ladder so they couldn't get back up until the ladder was reactivated. It wasn't used a lot because it was on one of the maps with constant almost nonstop rebelling.
    - On a personal note, I'd like to see more of the kind of talent room as is on the lego map with the walk on piano, that's always good fun when people want to play on it.
    If you have a problem on any of our servers, record a demo [Link to Guide] and submit it to SourceBans [Link to Guide] one of our administrators will be more than happy to assist in making sure our servers are enjoyable and fair for everybody.

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
    • Worth: $1576
    • Games owned: 123
    • Games not played: 53 (43%)
    • Hours spent: 9,166h

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Muffbag For This Useful Post:

Development Team
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Like_a_Bauxe View Post
    Took a quick look, and not really much to say. But, one quick issue, one of the walls in the random wall game doesn't have a hole in it.
    Yeah that wall is a hidden func_breakable the player has to find and break.

Development Team
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Yu Stin Ki Pu View Post
    So far, from the screenies etc it looks good and the effort you've put into it is clearly shown. I'll download the map at some point over the weekend and have a look at it properly, although I haven't really had much at all to do with map testing.

Regarding disco rarely being used, yeah it's rarely used, but that could be for a variety of reasons, one of them being there's not really a lot to do in MOST of the disco rooms that are on the maps. Another reason would be that the disco rooms themselves are a little awkward to be able to warden in properly (not sure if that makes sense or not).
    My suggestion for that is maybe try put like a memory type of game in there on the dance floor itself and maybe try and make the disco room 'warden friendly' so to speak..
    There's been a few times I've tried to play something on the disco floor, particularly the one on the space jail map, however a game like that would be much easier with automated zapping as opposed to trying to keep an eye on and hit buttons in the right sequence for 3 things at once AND watching the T's to be able to judge it fairly too.
    Not sure how well I can explain it but here goes .. basically, music starts, t's are allowed to move around on the floor (as long as they stay within the perimeter of the disco floor itself), as the music stops I call out a colour, the t's have to freeze (soon as the music stops), turn the floor lights on, and those who aren't on the colour are shot.

Aside from the disco part, some other suggestions for mini games etc are:

- I think it's called shipwreck on the mario map? the one where people have to hit the toad buttons for the entrance to come up out of the floor, that game is usually fairly well enjoyed, maybe add something like that on it?

- Races are usually used a fair bit.
    - Breakfloor
    - FF boxing/knife ring/arena
    - obstacle course is always popular.
    - Musical chairs ... I can't remember which map it was on, but we have or had a map that had musical chairs/doors, Warden got all the T's down into the chamber and locked out the ladder so they couldn't get back up until the ladder was reactivated. It wasn't used a lot because it was on one of the maps with constant almost nonstop rebelling.
    - On a personal note, I'd like to see more of the kind of talent room as is on the lego map with the walk on piano, that's always good fun when people want to play on it.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I really like the idea of the disco memory game.

Here is how it could be implemented, based on your explanation.

- Have a separate control panel in Disco to activate the game (filter button for CT only?).
    - Can either make it so the music/colour is controlled by the CT or automated, and if automated - can make it a random period of time they have to get on a colour.
    - Can use a func_brush to lock the terrorists in place when the music stops to stop people from moving.
    - I can also have it so the floor is outlined on the ground so players can see where the tiles will appear, but will need to remember where the colours display.

Does that sound alright?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information