Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Death of GG4

Casual Member
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 315
    Overall activity: 6.0%

DirtyDeeds is a name known to all DirtyDeeds is a name known to all DirtyDeeds is a name known to all DirtyDeeds is a name known to all DirtyDeeds is a name known to all DirtyDeeds is a name known to all DirtyDeeds's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [JA] DirtyDeeds     $ 50.00

The Death of GG4

Hello everyone,

What has happened to GG4?....Has it died a slow death?

I ask because everytime I go to play there recently, there is only a handful of players - and none of the usual crew.

I'm the first to admit that I am not playing as much as I used to either but where is everyone else?

And why have they left?

And what is going to be done to attract players back?

Or do we start writing the obituary???

A concerned Dirty.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DirtyDeeds For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 7.0%

BigDel has a reputation beyond repute BigDel has a reputation beyond repute BigDel has a reputation beyond repute BigDel has a reputation beyond repute BigDel has a reputation beyond repute BigDel has a reputation beyond repute BigDel has a reputation beyond repute BigDel has a reputation beyond repute BigDel has a reputation beyond repute BigDel has a reputation beyond repute BigDel has a reputation beyond repute BigDel's Avatar
    Total Donations For

BigDel     $ 50.00
    The ad wait is too long IMo, sometimes when it takes forever to load you get in after the warmup is over, map rotation like said before needs to be rotated on a monthly basis, enough threads have been made on that but I don't think anything happens, the duration seems to be 3-6 months before any major changes, weekly or fortnightly events will also make it interesting - again there have been many threads created in the past

Most people that still play on the server probably only play to keep their rank up, if hlstats dies tomorrow I think that will be the end of the server
    Last edited by BigDel; 27-05-13 at 10:26 AM.

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 0%
    OneManGrill has a reputation beyond repute OneManGrill has a reputation beyond repute OneManGrill has a reputation beyond repute OneManGrill has a reputation beyond repute OneManGrill has a reputation beyond repute OneManGrill has a reputation beyond repute OneManGrill has a reputation beyond repute OneManGrill has a reputation beyond repute OneManGrill has a reputation beyond repute OneManGrill has a reputation beyond repute OneManGrill has a reputation beyond repute OneManGrill's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] OneManGrill     $ 0.00
    Quote Originally Posted by andr0iid View Post
    Sorry, I should of been more specific. I meant admins on all the dtk servers. Its a bit harder for me though considering I am the only admin on gg10 but also I cant make another admin because most of dtk players either play on other dtk servers or they play on other gg servers.

All that aside though I do have an idea to populate both gg servers on dtk which ill talk to dail about and im more then sure he'll agree to this but still want to run it by him.

You see players join servers when they think it has a reasonable amount of players on that server. So if we can get it half full then I'm more then sure the servers will fill up extremely fast.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    This.^^

Straight after gg tournament must be gg10 events. Im looking forward to elimination

rage Killer^
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 163

andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] andr0iid     $ 30.00
    Quote Originally Posted by OneManGrill View Post
    This.^^

Straight after gg tournament must be gg10 events. Im looking forward to elimination
    Im already getting events organized for my server

Casual Member
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 12
    heretostalk will become famous soon enough heretostalk's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [M] heretostalk     $ 0.00
    Honestly, I think there are 3 major problems that are contributing to less people playing on the server. Ideally improving all three would be great, but any one should still help improve player rates. In no particular order;

1. Pinion waiting times. I don't mind waiting at the start of the round, but having to wait for a variable amount of time (up to 25 seconds) during a round is not fun at all. Either showing the ad only before a round or converting to forum based ads would be preferable.

2. Server lag. It was horrible recently for a fairly long period of time, which made me stop playing regualrly. Apparently it's better now. Apparently there's new hardware or something? The server has also had minor but persistent problems for a long time now.

3. Map rotation. Everybody knows how this goes. After a few months we start to want new maps. A few months after that, the rotation is actually updated. Is it possible to just automatically (whether truly automatic or manual) rotate 5 maps a month? It'd help.

Events are eh. They're (sometimes) fun, but I don't see events prolonging the lifespan of a server if it doesn't already have a viable player base. Events are great for novelty and for attracting interest, but if the only time people want to play is when there's an event happening, it's not going to do anything to fix the underlying problem. By all means keep them happening, because they're cool and fun and all, but it's not a proper solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Also, I remember Squall saying that adsense was on before they refused to make payment. So I don't think that's a option either.
    Adsense refused to pay? That doesn't sound right.

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 366

Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Blitz     $ 500.00
    I'm just going to put this out there as I've always wonder why SA's aren't given more responsibility over there server? Each server should have a different rcon password and simple tasks such as map changes are just editing the maplist file if I remember correctly and having the corresponding maps in the right folder. This will put the onus on the person who is directly responsible for the server but also allowing them the tools they need to the job.

That wasn't a dig if anyone was offended, but IMO a good leader delegates.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Blitz For This Useful Post:

Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz is a splendid one to behold Blitz's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Blitz     $ 500.00
    Quote Originally Posted by heretostalk View Post
    1. Pinion waiting times. I don't mind waiting at the start of the round, but having to wait for a variable amount of time (up to 25 seconds) during a round is not fun at all. Either showing the ad only before a round or converting to forum based ads would be preferable.
    I'll just touch on the pinion thing - if it's here to stay I believe the best option is to have it display for a constant amount of time each round (30s for example) regardless of how long the ad is. I imagine people should already know why psychologically it's better to have something constant.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 317

button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] button     $ 50.00
    Adsense shouldn't be refusing to pay unless you have committed a severe breach of their terms...

I'm just going to put this out there as I've always wonder why SA's aren't given more responsibility over there server? Each server should have a different rcon password and simple tasks such as map changes are just editing the maplist file if I remember correctly and having the corresponding maps in the right folder. This will put the onus on the person who is directly responsible for the server but also allowing them the tools they need to the job.

Totally agree with this. Daill should be able to update the maplist. Squall (if you're reading this), you have enough to do as is, delegate!

Total Donations For

Blitz     $ 500.00
    It was actually The Stig that made the announcement about adsense, oops.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig. View Post
    TO answer a few of the questions/queries out there.

1. Yes, the MOTD advertising does pay for a fair portion of the overall running costs of DtK. Some of the things that have not been mentioned as additional costs are the hosting for DtK along with Hlstats. Also additional plugins and plug fixes make up the mix to an ever increasing running cost.

2. Google Adsense has pulled their ads from our site, apparently due to some "peculiar activities". I would suggest this occured when the forum was down for a week and half and we recieved ZERO hits to the site, then when the site came to life again it got swamped!! Go figure, for the whole time that DtK had Google Adsense running we made a grand total of $71.60...... which was not paid out due to being held in Australian currency. We needed to break the $150 threshold to get any of that money.

3. I too have noticed that the MOTD has been causing some nuisance lag immediatly after joining the server and it has gotten worse with the last batch of ads being shown. I am in discussion with the advertising company to see if we can limit the bandwidth requirement so it does not impact so much on the community.

4. I appreciate you are frustrated with the lag for the first few seconds, but keep in mind if you suppress the MOTD, it does not count as an impression, and impressions is what we are paid on. (Impression = view) Doesn't matter if you view for 1 second or for 30 seconds, it still counts as a view and helps support DtK.

5. Paying for skins, admin and other incentives in the community has been considered in the past, but it goes against what we set out to make for the greater gaming community. We set out to make a gaming community that was accessible to everybody, well almost everybody. DtK should be a place where we can meet friends, make new friends and in general have a good time playing whatever version of CSS your into. That is why donations were opened up to allow an avenue for those wanting to make a contribution toward the DtK Community. Some people may not realise, but DtK is a registered business and as such is required to pay taxes. Oh, add that to an additional cost, not to mention the amount of time required to manage the financials.

But I don't want to bore you with the details, it's enough for me to worry about. Just enjoy the servers and the forums and keep the suggestions flowing so that we can improve on the great base that we already have.
    Anyhow, to be abit blunt is there any chance of trialing Daill with direct access to GG4? I'm sure more than one of us would be happy to help out technically and worst case scenario is he could ask Squall/Stig for that advice. In the end with so many servers, delegation would be the obvious choice?

rage Killer^
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 163

andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid has a reputation beyond repute andr0iid's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] andr0iid     $ 30.00
    All he needs is a username and password to access it and use ftpzilla to upload the new maps.

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 743

Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy has a reputation beyond repute Frendy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Frendy     $ 20.00
    I already upload all the maps when they are requested, Dail knows this and so do many of the other people.

While this may seem a simple thought its alot more complex than this, while yes it seems easy enough to give SA's access to this its alot more about a trust thing and a breaking thing, yes while they would only be able to edit configs and what have you these configs themselves could potentially break the server (similar to what is/was happening on surf reverting to nilla maps) currently i upload maps and configs and whatever else have you in the request that i have access too and i do it as fast as i humanly can, im not going to go into details in the permissions i have access too, but currently the only person with actual SERVER access is squall and i do believe it would stay that way as he likes to run it dat way (makes him feel safe that some nub like me wont break everything :P)
    Last edited by Frendy; 27-05-13 at 11:33 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frendy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 317

button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button has a reputation beyond repute button's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] button     $ 50.00
    It was actually The Stig that made the announcement about adsense, oops.

Anyhow, to be abit blunt is there any chance of trialing Daill with direct access to GG4? I'm sure more than one of us would be happy to help out technically and worst case scenario is he could ask Squall/Stig for that advice. In the end with so many servers, delegation would be the obvious choice?
    I'm hardly an expert but from my limited knowledge, surely DTK doesn't earn enough (at least taking into account business deductions) to pay tax. Especially if you get a, uh, creative accountant

Total Donations For

Blitz     $ 500.00
    That's fair enough. I did actually consider that the main reason why it hasn't been done before but posted the suggestion anyhow since you should be able to run a backup in those circumstances. The time offline would be minimal IMO.

Changing maps was apart of the reasoning but more so that looking forward it would be beneficial if for example Squall was to leave. From a business point of view, it's not wise to put all your eggs in one basket. No offense Squall (I'm sure you understand my reasoning).

Just wanted to add - when giving SA's the required access you give them the onus of responsibility which in my mind will translate into them being more 'competitive' in making the server much more active. Risk vs Reward in the end.
    Last edited by Blitz; 28-05-13 at 12:11 AM. Reason: wanted to add something

Fellowship of the Ducks
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%

Squall has disabled reputation Squall's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [C] Squall     $ 15.00
    Quote Originally Posted by button View Post
    I think if there were some way of shortening the Pinion wait time a bit, that would help
    The Ad load/waiting time is dependent on each player's computer and connection. The length of the Ad is not determined by us. We can't shorten the length of the waiting time for players , as we ONLY get paid if someone watches the full AD. You wouldn't pay someone a day's pay for only doing an hour's work, would you?

This system does have faults but we are continually reporting and suggesting changes to Pinion that will make it less interruptive. If players are getting pissed, it affects them as well - if no one plays on servers, they don't make any money. Hopefully there will be a solution in the future where the AD actually shows during the connecting phase (the small box with yellow loading bars)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDel View Post
    The ad wait is too long IMo, sometimes when it takes forever to load you get in after the warmup is over
    When the MOTD model was changed I had increased the warmup round length to facilitate the longer waiting time but then I heard from some players that the warmup round was too long. So really you guys really need to make up your mind and give me a number that suits everyone.

I am sorry but you don't know shit. No offense Blitz (I'm sure you understand my reasoning).

You are making it seem like SA's don't have any control over their server's when they actually do. SA's decide what maps go on the server, SA's decide what settings are used for the game mode employed on the server. Council does step in if they feel the changes might not be in the best interest of the server, changes might conflict with current addons,etc but this rarely happens. Making any server side changes is a very simple procedure, SA creates a ticket, if its new content , Frendy uploads it to a proxy server otherwise Council simply makes the required changes. These requests are completed within a few days, a week at most depending on whats required. Simple as that, if a ticket is there, things get done.Button, if you actually had a look around the admin area, you would know about this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDel View Post
    map rotation like said before needs to be rotated on a monthly basis, enough threads have been made on that but I don't think anything happens, the duration seems to be 3-6 months before any major changes, weekly or fortnightly events will also make it interesting - again there have been many threads created in the past
    The only instance this year when all server changes including adding new maps , were put on hold for a month or two was before and during the IP change. This was even explained why in the new IP thread. And yet people continue to bitch and moan about that same period when new maps weren't added.

Servers like JB and Zombies add new maps or newer version of maps almost every 1-2 weeks.There are no issues there, so why would there be any issues with adding maps for GG? As mentioned above, if there is a request/ticket for it, it will get done.

Quote Originally Posted by andr0iid View Post
    What I've noticed in the past few weeks is that admins and staff members constantly spending time on other servers and usually the regulars have them as a friend and they join off them. I can see how the pinion things ruins the servers and people dont really like waiting that long and when they play on other servers they dont wait at all and they just join a team.

To be able to get our regulars back we first need to get the admin team back on the servers because in my opinion thats the best thing to do.

if any admin is spending more time on other servers than their own when the server isn't doing too well, it might be time for them to reconsider their positions?

TBH I am not fond of the MOTD AD's either, pretty sure no one is. And I will admit , it has affected some servers more than others. However with the current rotation of ads, it is only a minor 20-30 second annoyance for me . When i click connect on a server, I simply Alt-tab out, by the time I hear the ad audio has stopped, i alt tab back into css.

Sometimes we make the problem/issue to be bigger than it actually is. If we as Admins/members of this community are constantly complaining,whining,raging,etc on the servers about the ads,rego,etc , no new players or non members would want to play on the server. On the other hand, if we decide to handle the situation in a different manner and maybe help the players understand whats happening and why, bring attention to any issues to the appropriate people,etc it becomes an environment where players will be more accepting of the situation and keep playing.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Squall For This Useful Post:

Total Donations For

Blitz     $ 500.00
    Since I'm not actually privy to all this knowledge, thank you for the explanation.

Not sure why you found it necessary to add the sarcasm as I was actually being sincere when writing that towards you when I wrote "i'm sure you understand my reasoning". I know full well the extent of what you do for D2K and I wasn't having a go at you. Quite the opposite tbh as I was trying to be constructive based on what information I did have.

You have a large amount of respect from me Squall but -1 respect for that.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blitz For This Useful Post:

Casual Member
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    SpOOn has a spectacular aura about SpOOn has a spectacular aura about SpOOn has a spectacular aura about SpOOn's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [T] SpOOn     $ 0.00
    i work away 3x3, so thats the reasoning for my lengthy absense. ive always heard about people complaining about lag on the server, it was never really an issue for me. BUT this time now that im home from work and played on the server yesterday the whole server was constantly lagging including myself. not your normal lag either, every 10-20 secs your model would feel as if it has walked into a barrel and been slowed down for a breif second. pissed me off anough to leave the server and join another one

IMO maps are not an issue, they get changed enough.
    obviously pinion add is too long for some players, but its an essential item for the server to have so in time hopefully as squall has said maybe a compromise will happen one day.
    lag should be the main thing that is looked into.

bring back the bhop, that will bring back the players.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 230

crosq has a reputation beyond repute crosq has a reputation beyond repute crosq has a reputation beyond repute crosq has a reputation beyond repute crosq has a reputation beyond repute crosq has a reputation beyond repute crosq has a reputation beyond repute crosq has a reputation beyond repute crosq has a reputation beyond repute crosq has a reputation beyond repute crosq has a reputation beyond repute crosq's Avatar
    Total Donations For

crosq     $ 5.00
    Since I'm not actually privy to all this knowledge, thank you for the explanation.

Not sure why you found it necessary to add the sarcasm as I was actually being sincere when writing that towards you when I wrote "i'm sure you understand my reasoning". I know full well the extent of what you do for D2K and I wasn't having a go at you. Quite the opposite tbh as I was trying to be constructive based on what information I did have.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Talk does not cook rice.

Fellowship of the Ducks

Total Donations For

It isn't sarcasm. You assumed SA's had no had no say or very little say in what goes on their server when that isn't the case, maybe you have been misinformed or you simply made that assumption on your own.

I am sorry if you feel offended but it is quite frustrating for me. On one hand I appreciate the OP's concerns for the server and feedback from GG4 players on this thread. It has helped to identify the current issues on the server and possible solutions.

On the other hand, some of the posts mainly yours, gives the impression that server admins don't have control of their servers and/or have no/little say on their servers. This isn't helping the server at all, it actually puts the server at a worse position than it was before because it gives the impression that adding new maps or content isn't possible, that players suggestions/feedback are neglected. Why would players want to play on the servers if they are not able to play what they want? Pinion system overall, regular map updates, steampipe issues,etc - these are all valid issues and need to be focused on but creating a new issue which really isn't an issue and doesn't really change anything is counter productive and hurts the server.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the admins of the server and the community members have a very important role to play in keeping the servers alive and active. How they present the servers to others can make or break the server. It is very hard to build up a good reputation but very easy to get a negative reputation. I can understand you are trying to help the server but at the same time, i feel that with the limited information you had while creating your posts, you could have at least consulted Dail or any of the senior gg4 admins (or even me) to get an understanding of how things are actually done.

GG4 has been DtK's flagship server, there is no reason we would put it in a position where it wouldn't be the case. This hasn't been a really good year for DtK with the IP changes, steampipe updates and the pinion changes but if everyone was just a tiny bit more understanding, it would make all the difference in the world

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SpOOn View Post
    i work away 3x3, so thats the reasoning for my lengthy absense. ive always heard about people complaining about lag on the server, it was never really an issue for me. BUT this time now that im home from work and played on the server yesterday the whole server was constantly lagging including myself. not your normal lag either, every 10-20 secs your model would feel as if it has walked into a barrel and been slowed down for a breif second. pissed me off anough to leave the server and join another one

IMO maps are not an issue, they get changed enough.
    obviously pinion add is too long for some players, but its an essential item for the server to have so in time hopefully as squall has said maybe a compromise will happen one day.
    lag should be the main thing that is looked into.

bring back the bhop, that will bring back the players.
    There is a recent thread that addresses the current lag issues in the GG4 forums. However you mentioned the lag was constant, if you experience the lag again could you please use http://www.dying2kill.com.au/misc.php?do=form&fid=17 , would make troubleshooting easier.

Cheers

Total Donations For

Blitz     $ 500.00
    OMG long winded post lost to the login reset. ;(

That's fair enough. I did actually consider that the main reason why it hasn't been done before but posted the suggestion anyhow since you should be able to run a backup in those circumstances. The time offline would be minimal IMO.

Changing maps was apart of the reasoning but more so that looking forward it would be beneficial if for example Squall was to leave. From a business point of view, it's not wise to put all your eggs in one basket. No offense Squall (I'm sure you understand my reasoning).

Just wanted to add - when giving SA's the required access you give them the onus of responsibility which in my mind will translate into them being more 'competitive' in making the server much more active. Risk vs Reward in the end.
    I'll be straightforward and just say you have entirely misinterpreted what I have said. The suggestion I made about giving SA's full control over the server was not somekind of masked attack on you or the administration team. TBH I would've thought you knew me well enough to know that.

- Yes, I know that SA's make the suggestions that are passed onto you to be discuss and implemented, to be fair you are always prompt.
    - No, I wasn't aware about Frendy.
    - Yes, I have spoken to Daill before about how it works.

I never intended for it to be negative or for it to be interpreted that I believe you don't make changes fast enough. Not once have I ever complained about maps, lag or pinion personally which can be corroborated by anyone on the GG4 server. The reasoning I made the suggestion was about efficiency, making it one bit better. If you step back and reread what I have wrote you should come to the same conclusion as most others.

In regards to this entire fiasco, I just want to note you seem to be mad about 3 out of 11 posts that I made in this thread - not one was negative in tone. This is a discussion forum and I would imagine this falls under that.

The only thing I can suggest is you reread this entire thread and sense the tone and context of the posts given. Other than that, good job looking after the servers.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Blitz For This Useful Post:

Fellowship of the Ducks

Total Donations For

I am sorry but I think I have interpreted the thread very well and happy with my conclusions. Not mad at your posts as you claim, but as i said, it gets frustrating having to explain something or justify something when there isn't a need to or when it becomes a new issue that doesn't really need to be there.

Total Donations For

Blitz     $ 500.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall View Post
    I am sorry but I think I have interpreted the thread very well and happy with my conclusions. Not mad at your posts as you claim, but as i said, it gets frustrating having to explain something or justify something when there isn't a need to or when it becomes a new issue that doesn't really need to be there.
    TBH it wasn't an issue until you made it one Squall.

Anyhow regardless I do still respect what you have done for D2K. That said please remove me from the roster as I have lost faith in this community.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Blitz For This Useful Post:

Closed Thread

Thread Information